Metropolitan Agriculture for Developing an innovative, sustainable and Responsible Economy
MADRE is an Interreg MED Modular project on Capitalisation that focuses on the priority axis 1 "Promoting Mediterranean innovation capacities to develop smart and sustainable growth", and the specific objective 1.1 To increase transnational activity of innovative clusters and networks of key sectors of the MED area.
According to the FAO, a paradigm shift in both urban and agriculture development, planning and policy formulation is required in order to ensure access to urban food security, improved environmental management and enhanced rural-urban linkages. Although recognized as a major lever of eco-innovation for metropolis' sustainability and competitiveness, Metropolitan and Periurban Agriculture (MPA) still suffers from a "mainstreaming gap", remaining overlooked by policy makers, academic research and the general public. As a result, the environmental price of food is an invisible but nonetheless major burden for cities.
The MADRE project aims to meet this challenge: supply MPA with key players (from the quadruple helix) and create a transnational cooperation in the MED area. Aiming at fostering a change process in the metropolitan food supply model, the project will capitalize on the wide set of academic knowledge, pilot actions and policies, networks and transnational cooperation in order to allow MPA reaching a critical level in the MED area. In-depth assessment of available material provides the baseline for an empowerment of MPA stakeholders and then to a formal commitment to initiate a transnational clustering process.
Such a capitalization process involve a multidisciplinary, pluralistic and multilevel partnership from 4 different MED countries (Spain, France, Italy, and Greece) and Albania (IPA), each partner representing a flagship metropolitan area.
To acces the MADRE Policy Paper and the series of Thematic White Papers scroll down this page.
MedCities is one of the partners' project and the responsible of the Capitalisation Work Package and the coordinator of the thematic working group on metropolitan agriculture and social inclusion.
Leader: AVITEM, Agence des Villes et Territoires Méditerranéens Durables, Marsella
- Ville Métropolitaine de Bologne
- Université Aristote de Thessalonique
- Universite Agricole de Tirana
- Centre International des hautes Études Agronomiques Mediterraneennes,
- ANIMA Investment Network
1,173,174.99€ . The 85% is co-financed by European Union (997,198.74€) and the rest 15% by Partners (175,976.25€).
MADRE Project - Storytelling Video
MADRE Project - Spot Video