MED-3R is a strategic project of the multilateral cross-border cooperation "Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme", which is part of the new European Neighborhood Policy and its financing Instrument (ENPI) on the theme of « Treatment & Recycling of Wastes ».
This project is part of the sustainable development strategy of Nice Côte d'Azur, which aims to become the green Metropole of the Mediterranean.
The aim of the project is to strength the governance and the participation of public authorities, industrial, commercial and educational sectors, the NGOs and the general public, in order to improve the institutional framework of the wastes management. The purpose is to reduce the wastes production on a Mediterranean scale, by highlighting the origins of the wastes, and to develop an integrated & rationally ecologic waste management system.
The expected results are:
- Make management plans of the integrated wastes (collect, distribution, valorization) by taking in consideration for each territory, the economic, geographic, social and environmental (zero wastes) dimensions.
- Strengthen the partners capacities and skills (training, staff equipments, residents participation) and the governance in the wastes management.
- Establish a common platform to support the cities hoping to put in place management systems, transfer/adapt practices, and looking for financing.
- Capitalize , test and spread in the established network, the best practices in the field of planification and urban wastes management.
- Put in place a plan to improve the equipments unadapted or inefficient
- Make pilot equipments for different wastes flux: organic waste (composting), hospitals waste (dangerous), and electronics.
- Strengthen the available networks in the cities (EUROMED, MEDCITES) as well as the thematic