Finished (2016-2019)- Streamlining Networking and Management efforts in Mediterranean Protected Areas for Enhanced Natural Conservation and Protection. Interreg Med project approved on 2016 on environmental sustainability
PANACeA is a horizontal project that focuses on the specific objective 3.2. "Maintaining biodiversity and natural ecosystems through strengthening the management and networking of protected areas".
It defines a mechanism to increase the visibility and impacts of thematic projects' results towards common identified targets through the specific activities:
- Synthesizing outcomes on natural protection and biodiversity conservation efforts;
- Engaging a stakeholders' community and transferring knowledge beyond the project's lifetime;
- Implementing a communication and dissemination strategy;
- Developing a long term capitalization tool ensuring evidence based policy enforcement.
The activities ensure an active community of Mediterranean actors meant to overcome sectoral borders by integrating knowledge, allowing a better informed multilevel decision-making on and management of biodiversity.
PANACeA supports the establishment of a two-way communication channel with the scientific community to ensure an effective policy-science interface in the Mediterranean related to biodiversity protection and sustainable development. It ensures a long term strategic goal of the Interreg MED programme by creating impacts beyond the EU and UNEP/MAP Barcelona Convention policies in the domains of protection and conservation of biodiversity and natural resources, in protected areas. The role of MedCities is to actively participate in the animation of a community of Mediterranean actors in order to create synergies among the projects and to contribute to the communication and capitalisation of their results. To this aim, MedCities hosted the first "PANACeA Knowledge Sharing Event" of the Community on October 2017. The event aimed to help bridge the gaps between science, management practices and policies to foster a coordinated approach to natural resource protection and management.
Leader: European Topic Center- University of Malaga
- MedCities, Mediterranean Network for Urban Sustainable Development
- CRPM, Conference of peripheral maritime regions of Europe
- PB RAC, Plan Bleu for the Environment and Development in the Mediterranean
- UNIMED, Mediterranean Universities Union
- REC, Regional Environmental Centre for Central and Eastern Europe, Country office Montenegro
- RAC/SPA, Regional Activity Centre for Specially Protected Areas
- NGO OZON
- WCPA, World Commission on Protected Areas
- AIE, Adriatic Ionian Euroregion
- Region of Crete
- Mediterranean Protected Areas Network
- Region of Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
- General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean
- IUCN-Med, Centre for Mediterranean Cooperation of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature
- WWF Mediterranean
- MPA Island of Ustica
- Association of Mediterranean Maritime Museums
- USEK, Holy Spirit University of Kaslik
- Fondation Tour du Valat
1,461,073.48€ . The 85% is co-financed by European Union (1,241,912.48 €) and the rest 15% by Partners (219,161.00 €).
Declaration on ecosystem-based approaches for biodiversity protection and management: