Rezoning & Parcelization of Wastani
The municipality of Saida will put in order the future northern growth of the city, according to a sustainable urban development process, aiming at reaching a balanced development between economic, social and environmental objectives.
Improving Socio-Economic Conditions for the Residents
Sustaining Environmental Health
The Wastani district is the last land opportunity offered within the municipal territory of Saida to achieve this aim.
The Municipality of Saida is currently engaged in a large-scale urban intervention that seeks to urbanize one of its last remaining green areas by a Master Plan and a Land pooling and sub-division project. The proposed project in this concept note aims at developing a mitigating solution that would save an important cultural landscape and green assets and introduce strict guidelines for its development while providing for a diversified zoning to meet the demand pattern of lower income groups, by considering a larger scheme of zoning and redistributing development rights in an equitable manner. The sharing of the economic burden of the public good should not happen on the backs of a few landowners; therefore, the larger scheme would transfer some of that burden to other areas of the city and provide for additional development rights in less sensitive areas, thus creating a win-win situation for everyone. The project is being implemented in a participative approach among the stakeholders and best universities in Lebanon to engage the community in the project.
- To ensure the continuous diversification of the economic base of the city and the viability of all sectors through technical support and training to ailing sectors to adapt to new economic realities and conditions
- To plan a blue green network that serves amenity and promotes sustainable use of environmental resources
- To increase quantity and improve quality of green areas
- Mitigating the competing interests of landowners and the social and environmental needs of the city at large
- Protecting important heritage assets in the extramural city
- Increasing per-capita share of green and open space for the public
- Contributing to the branding of the city as green and healthy city
- Cost for the initial design works (100,000 USD),
- detailed design including site surveys and onsite benchmarks (300,000 USD),
- and EIS (100,000 USD)
Hiba Hneineh, project coordinator. Saida Municipality