The town of Lemesos (Limassol) is situated between the ancient towns of Amathus and Curium.
The English King Richard the Lionheart destroyed Amathus in 1191. Lemesos (Limassol) was probably built after Amathus had been ruined. However, the town of Lemesos (Limassol) was inhabited since the very old times. Graves that were found there date back to 2.000 B.C. and others date back to the 8th and 4th century B.C. These few remains that were left behind show that a small colonization must have existed which did not manage to develop and flourish.
According to the Synod which took place in 451 B.C.; the bishop of Theodossiani Sotir as well as the bishops of Amathus and Arsinoe were involved in the foundation. Theodossiani is regarded the same as Lemesos (Limassol) was known later as Neapolis. The records of the 7th Synod (787) refer to it as the bishop's see. The town was known as Nemesos in the 10th century. Constantine Porfyrogennitos refers to the town by this name.
The history of Lemesos (Limassol) is largely known by the events of 1191 A.D. that put an end to the Byzantine dominion of Cyprus. The king of England, Richard the Lionheart, was travelling to the Holy Land in 1191. His fiancιe Berengaria and his sister loanna, (Queen of Sicily), were also travelling on a different ship. Because of a storm, the ship with the queens arrived in Lemesos (Limassol). Isaac Comnenus, the Byzantine governor of Cyprus, was heartless and cruel, and hated the Latins very much.
The district of Lemesos (Limassol) which covers the south part of Cyprus, borders with the district of Larnaca in the east, with the district of Paphos in the west, as well as with the capital Nicosia in the north. The stretch of land which is included in the boundaries of Lemesos Municipality is 34.870.000 sqyare meters or 34.87 square kilometers.
The limited water resources of the countryside and the continuously increasing need for irrigation, industrial and touring aims, lead to the building of the dams in order to increase the water reserves.
The bigger ones among the dams are the dams of Kourris which has a capacity of 115,000,000 m3, the Yermasoyia dam which has a capacity of 13,600,000 m3 and the dam of Polemidia with a capacity of 3.864,000 m3. The dynamic of the dams of the province is about 135,000,000 m3.
The dams are of great importance to Lemesos (Limassol). Sufficient agricultural areas are watered in the summer time when the rain is limited.
The climate of Lemesos (Limassol) is warm and dry in the summer and mild in the winter it is a marvelous Mediterranean climate. In the summer the temperature during daytime fluctuates between 22.00 Celsius degrees and 38.00 and in winter between -1,0 and 180 Celsius degrees, according to the altitude of the area. The temperature of the sea water, is about 15.500 Celsius degrees in winter and 24.500 in August and September. These temperatures allow swimming throughout the year.
Limassol City Center.
Municipal Market. Λεμεσός Κέντρο Πόλης - Α΄ Δημοτική Αγορά