Cooperation with the City of Marseille on the Management of Public Lighting
The Municipality of Marseille provided technical assistance to the city of Sousse related to public lighting management and improvement of the energy consumption in public buildings. The city of Sousse had identified the need to improve the management of the electricity and lighting in municipal buildings and facilities, as part of the comprehensive definition of the strategic issues for the future development of the city, done under the USUDS project.
The delegation was composed of Mr. Philippe Giard and Mr. Jacques Huser, from the General Delegation of Development and Upgrading of Facilities, Mr. Raoul Icard from the Directorate of Studies and Major Projects and Mr. Frédéric Olivo, from the Department of International Relations of the City of Marseille.
The first part of the assistance included a visit to the city of Sousse where technical meetings were arranged with municipal personnel and other relevant stakeholders. Site visits were also undertaken to municipal facilities, including sports facilities, schools, and administrative and cultural buildings in order to better understand the city's needs regarding public lighting, the challenges faced and the current system of management, as well as the improvements implemented and the budget mobilised for this issue.
The two cities identified possible lines of cooperation for a future framework of mid-term cooperation, including:
- Analysis of the state of affairs, including the description of the lighting, actual consumption, current budget and desired one, the organization set up;
- A number of actions to be carried out in the technical, budgetary and organisational domain:
- Conducting a thorough diagnosis,
- Completion of a facilities management scheme in the context of a lighting map
- Development of a multiannual program, defining investment priorities and establishing the technical specifications,
- Budget assessment (cost / benefit),
- Development of specifications in the field of management, organisation, communication and training;
- Support of the development of technical specifications, in the field of energy conservation, for the future new city hall;
- Participation in the realisation of the House of the Environment
- Providing recommendations for the development of the Riadh zone, in the field of public lighting and energy saving (pilot project);
- Undertaking a need- assessment to set the safety standards in buildings;
- Providing expertise and advice for the Olympic swimming pool project.
A second mission has been undertaken during September 2014 in order to further explore these possibilities for the identification of mid- and long-term cooperative projects to be carried out by the two cities. A technical delegation from Sousse witnessed examples of sustainable and energy-saving public lighting in Marseille and worked together with the technical services of the City of Marseille to define guidelines for improving the energy efficiency of public lighting in the long term. A joint project has been formulated, with proposed interventions for energy-efficient urban lighting in neighbourhood of Sousse, the lighting of monument sites in the Medina as well as the lighting of public buildings. A third mission will be undertaken in October 2014 in order to better design the project and adequate the technical part in order to obtain funding through the operational cooperation schemes available in France.